PE and Sport Premium
‘To challenge ourselves to be the best PE, sport and health learners we can be’
This year Hatherley Infant School will be focusing on the following points in order to improve the provision of PE and sport for our children:
- Increase physical activity for all pupils within their school day. In order to do this we are having a large climbing apparatus installed in the playground. All children will benefit from using the equipment thus improving their fundamental skills of balance, agility and co-ordination.
- Improve children’s physical literacy through provision of high quality teaching and learning; ensuring that all children can succeed. In order to do this we have invested in a new PE scheme for teaching PE in both EYFS and KS1. The way that PE will now be taught will raise the profile of PE across the school.
- Widen opportunities for sports and healthy lifestyle education within the curriculum as well as for enrichment and extra-curricular experiences in order ensure that all children get 30 minutes of physical activity per day and to support the development of healthy lifestyles.
Curriculum – at Hatherley Infant School We focus on developing six key abilities:
- Children’s personal, social, physical, cognitive and creative skills as well as teaching them the importance of health and fitness.
By teaching PE in this way, all children are able to succeed. In each engaging lesson they are given opportunities to improve their fundamental skills, make important decisions about their own learning as well as evaluate themselves and others in positive ways.
Sports and PE funding
In September 2017, the Government announced significant, new increased funding for all schools for physical education (PE) and sport. It is crucial that as a school, we follow government recommendations and focus on the following areas:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – 30 mins per day
- Raise the profile of PE and Sport across the whole school
- Increase confidence, knowledge and skill of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broaden the experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increase participation in competitive sport
Key actions for this year:
- Install a large climbing apparatus in the school playground in order to increase physical activity for all children
- Raise the profile of PE through high standards of teaching and learning. This will be through the investment in a new PE scheme called REAL PE.
- Provide all children with 30 minutes physical activity a day through the introduction of the Daily mile and increasing the number of extra-curricular clubs available.
- Develop staff confidence in teaching dance through dance CPD across the whole school
- Train staff effectively in the use of balancability bikes in order for them to be used appropriately but in lesson time and at lunch times.
- Continuing affiliation with GSSN for extra-curricular activities, competitive sport opportunities and continual CPD for the PE subject leader.
Please follow the link below for a summary of how we have allocated the funds for our school this year. We will post an evaluation at the end of the school year so we can tell you what impact the initiatives have had on standards in PE and sport across our school.